Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Honorable mentions: Scion and Againn

I stopped paying attention to the merry-go-round of restaurants in and out of the space at P St and  21st, but on the invitation of my friend Dre who organized a night out with her boys, I went to Scion, which has occupied this space for about a year now.

Voted a “Best of DC” in the Washington City Paper this year, their menu is described as eclectic American with an Asian influence. The best example of that menu is perhaps my dinner selection: the Kobe Beef burger. Usually the price of anything kobe drives me away, but this burger was actually reasonable. While there are better burgers in the city, it was pretty good. The thing to write mom about, though, is their mac and cheese. Oh, Becky, so good! I snarfed it up despite not having my lactaid pill. Even the CoCo Sala chocolate covered bacon mac and cheese doesn’t compare and that has both chocolate and bacon! I nominate Scion best mac and cheese on the planet, right now.


The second honorable mention is my revisit to Againn, but this time for brunch. For the first time ever, this restaurant got me to eat corned beef. I’ve avoided this dish my entire life because if I wanted corn something, I wouldn’t know where to start. But I jumped off the cliff and fell for it. The corned beef here, though was shredded and substantial.

The other notable idea Againn gave me (which I revisited to the joy of my liver Sunday) was a grapefruit and cava mimosa.


No comments: