Saturday, May 15, 2010

Flavor of Midtown (New York)

I had the pleasure of experiencing the Grand Gourmet Flavor of Midtown on its tenth anniversary this year, hosted by the Grand Central Partnership in Grand Central Station. The event was created ten years ago to showcase the rejuvenation of a new culinary scene in midtown New York and serves as a benefit to the Grand Central Neighborhood Social Services Corporation helping the homeless.

As I’m not able to review each restaurant past their tasters here, I’ll simply give a list of the highlights from the event, whose restaurants have added themselves to my must visit list on my next trip to New York.

Ranking first on my list, Pera Mediterranean Brasserie. There, Chef Jason Avery sampled his smoked lamb “Turkish Tacos,” which completely blew all other tasters out of the water at this event. The meat was incredibly flavorful and the feta sprinkled over the top added a nice contrast.

Ranking second was the Wheeltapper Pub serving a petite canapĂ© of irish curried chicken on fresh baked brown bread and topped with old time Irish marmalade by Chef James Donahue. The curry was mild and chicken shredded. This was the first thing I sampled and it wasn’t until the very last thing sampled at Pera that I was uber impressed by another dish… it was a very close second.

Ranking third on my list is the Benjamin Steakhouse at the Dylan hotel. There, Chef Arturo McLeod sampled his porterhouse bites with creamy mashed potatoes and Benjamin steak sauce. Incredibly tender steak.

And fourth was Pershing Square, sampling their lobster sliders with pickles and chips by Chef Aaron Bashy… quite unique, but still just a slider with too much bread.

Honorable mentions include:

Aretsky’s Patron, At Vermillion, Bice Ristorante, and Triomphe,

There was only one to completely avoid, where my notes simply said “gross:” Kellari Taverna.

All others were simply mundane. An enjoyable, star-studded event though… very well produced and worth every dime of my comped ticket! Thank you Stella for sponsoring.

No comments: