Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Indebleu

DC Restaurant week has always been my favorite holiday... a time to go to the restaurants that you never can make it to (if you make early enough reservations).  Well, Indebleu has been on my list for years.  I never made it there when it was the new 'it' restaurant... and then it got a bad rep, so I never tried to go after that.  But for restaurant week, I felt I ought to give it a shot.  I went there tonight with my friend Lou as a payback for watching my dog while I went off to Mexico for the weekend.  The night started off by me having to take a shower at his place because my hot water is out at home... and my complex changed the door codes on me today so I was locked out after walking the dog and hence late to Lou's... plus, I had a bit of a headache.  Read:  Dave's not in the best/most social of moods.  And if you know me, that can be a bit of a chore to deal with... But Indebleu attacked my downer day pleasantly turning it around.  First, the hostess was apologetic for not being able to seat us immediately and we had to wait 5 minutes past our reservation.  Seriously?  5 minutes is no big deal in my book, but her gracious  greeting earned points.  We headed to the bar where I found their wine by the glass selection appealing.  I had a Sangiovese, which you normally wouldn't find by the glass.  After we sat, our waiter, Brian -- a slight, but perky church-goer greeted us with a big smile and a helpful attitude.  He continued his good service throughout the evening... forgetting to charge us for the bottled water and other glass of wine earning him a generous tip.  My meal started with Main Mussels steamed with lime, tomato, garlic and ginger red curry.  There was a bit of a kick to these mussels, but they were steamed nicely and the curry sauce was a wonderful dip for the bread.  My main plate was the jerk brined and fried chicken.  I was going to order the yellow fin tuna, but I eat a lot of tuna.  I wanted something different... and I had read recently in a magazine... Details or GQ likely... that foodie restaurants were doing fried chicken.  This was my first time to a place of Indebleu's stature with fried chicken on the menu, but it was plump, juicy, crisp and not at all what I expected.  Needless to say, I'll never go to KFC again after this fried chicken.  Not even on the same planet and shouldn't be allowed to share the same trailer trash name.  The chicken was served with chinese greens, green chili corn pudding and a pineapple hot sauce.  Past the breading, the sauce is really what made this dish pop.  For desert, I wish I had ordered what Lou did... the L'Opera: an almond biscuit, kahlua cream, chocolate ganache and pistachio ice cream... but the chocolate ganache sounded too rich for me.  Turns out my Banana split had way more chocolate and less of the cherry that was described in the menu.... and while ok, I could have done without my desert.  Instead, I helped Lou eat his.  The ambiance of the restaurant was loud and bright.  For such a small space, I could appreciate the volume, although to Lou, it was distracting.  I thought it was the perfect level for a vibrant place.... but talking about vibrant, Please send in some lesbians to install dimmer switches.  The sunlamps of recessed lighting almost blistered the top of my head, forcing me to move over a chair.  All in all, I think this place can survive the stigma that it outlived its useful life.  These positive observations, mostly revolving around the spectacular food and service, are likely caused by the relatively new executive chef.  Michael Hartzer, formerly under the tutelage at DC's enviable Citronelle, has been with Indebleu for a little over a year.  With some good PR, this place could be the 'it' place again... it certainly has all the credentials... or at least it will if it installs dimmers.

No comments: